Thursday, November 11, 2010

Dealing with Disappointment

Disappointment. I babysat Amelia today, and the look on her face when she realized I was no longer playing hide and seek was the perfect example of it. Whether we are 18 months old or 27 years old, it happens. Whether it's disappointment in yourself, disappointment in your loved ones, or disappointment in your students-it always comes around. So why am I so surprised when the feeling sets in for the hundred thousandth time? And, my biggest question, WHY DO I ALWAYS CARE?

I wish so badly that I could really truly have a "so what?" mentality. I can be a crappy teacher sometimes, so what? I sounded really stupid in my Procert class tonight, who cares? I have a to-do list that never gets completely finished, big deal?



And then, yesterday, one of my favorite teachers at school (who is an elderly woman with the body of an 18 year old-yowzas) told me that on her way to school yesterday morning, her vision instantly went black and she had a small heart attack. Then she teared up a little bit and said, "I'm okay, though. I just get to be alive some more---which is such a good thing!"



After talking with her, it really hit me that I have a lot of things that I get to care about, and a whole lot of things I need to let go of. Screw dissappointment. The source of my disappointment is my pride and my selfishness. What a waste of time.

Life is good, and, like my sweet friend told me, I get to be alive some more :) Even though it's not picture perfect, who cares?




6 comments:

Sara said...

Love, love, love this post! (I guess I can relate ;)

Tomorrow morning, Ben and I are going to the funeral of a mid-50's yr old man who fell off his roof a week ago Monday, who's son did cpr until he was life-flighted out, then was taken off life support after 3 days. He was in perfect health before, so this came out of the blue. And then a girlfriend of mine, told me today that a 1st grader from her kids' school ran into the parking lot after a ball and was hit by a truck... and is now totally brain dead.

Now before you think my name is Debbie (as in Downer), I write all that to say, I totally agree. Life is sooo short... filled with so much that doesn't matter at all. And why we waste so much energy and time being disappointed over things that really don't matter, when we can be fully enjoying the things that do, makes no sense.

So, here's to life! And I'm so glad that we both have time to enjoy just a little more of it. Looking forward to hearing more of what yours brings. :)

Love you guys... and am bummed that Ben couldn't connect w/ you guys on this trip.

GGST22+ said...

It takes some of us a long time to realize we just need to quit fretting over "what has been" and "why didn't I" and move on life. At this point I can tell you, life REALLY is VERY short..an instant, a twinkling of the eye. So just do the best you can with whatever hand you are dealt, and then move on to whatever comes next. Meanwhile, enjoy being who you are, and enjoy your life. Many hugs!

GGST22+ said...

It takes some of us a long time to realize we just need to quit fretting over "what has been" and "why didn't I" and move on life. At this point I can tell you, life REALLY is VERY short..an instant, a twinkling of the eye. So just do the best you can with whatever hand you are dealt, and then move on to whatever comes next. Meanwhile, enjoy being who you are, and enjoy your life. Many hugs!

Jen said...

So true, Meg!
XOXO

em said...

Just got around to reading this post after our trip. I really needed it! My new attitude for the rest of the school year is that my students WILL learn SOMETHING, even if it's not to the level that they should be learning. I get to learn too, and appreciate my life - thanks for the reminder.

PS Sooooo good to see you and AO this trip! More runs and chats (sans "grownups" ;) in our future!

Mom said...

You care because you have a caring heart. Thank goodness for that! It's what makes you so special to all of us. Thank you.