Saturday, October 2, 2010

How much is too much?


So, like most blogs have stated: Fall is here. And, like most people, I am reminded that this is truly one of the best seasons. Now, let me cut to the chase: decorations.

So, one thing I looked forward to growing up, was coming home from school/church/playing and find that my mom put cute little fallish decorations around the house. Pumpkin candy dishes, plastic scarecrows, fake leaves, spicey candles, and whatever else was 50% off at Joanne's. I LOVED it. I looked forward to it every year.

My next point: Andy is a number one guy because he likes a tidy house-which he is super involved in implementing. Yes, Andy loves a nice, bare, sterile house. I am thankful for that...most of the time. He also kind of winces when I bring home a fake pumpkin to light up a corner of the kitchen. I see it as a cute little addition to brighten up our home and add some fall flare. He sees it as another item that might clutter our house, and, get ready for the worst part, need to be stored in a box for 9 months out of the year. Accumulation is his worst nightmare.

So, I guess what I am wondering is how much is too much? From couples old and young, I would love to know, is it worth the 3 months of fall flare to have to store it in a box and accumulate in your house? Will I come to a point that I hate all of the fall crap because I resent having to pack it around all of my life?

Yes, there are much bigger problems in the world than what to do with my "trick or treat" sign. Just wondered what people's thoughts are on 'accumulation'.

10 comments:

Little Lesiw said...

I say you both agree on a small plastic bin (tupperware does NOT count) and what ever you can fit in that, will be your fall decorations. You can get a decent size bin (that isn't large) for around $4-6 at Walmart. I bet there's a little corner in the garage or some closet where it will be totally un-noticable for when you have to store it for the winter/spring/summer.

And after you find your bin, as a little jokey-joke, buy a bunch of inflatable fall decorations and fill your house. Then you can remind Andy that once 'decompressed', they all fit in the bin!

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!

Elizabeth (and Dan) said...

Pretty much I was going to say what Rachel said. We have one bin for fall and five for Christmas and that is it. We got these awesome storage racks in our garage that hang from the ceiling for $250 installed and it is up out of the way for the 9 months that we don't need those boxes.

It is good for teachers to decorate for fall. It helps us to like September and October more. ; )

Bonnie Orr said...

I think you are putting what is commonly called a "woman's touch' on your home - transforming a house into a home. It reflects your personality and that's what makes it so neat. My Dad was just like Andy and hated clutter - my mom the opposite - a very creative decorator and constantly changing little things to mark seasons or holidays. i think my Dad grew to love it. When two such opposites live in one home it provides perfect balance.

em said...

I agree with all of your wonderful, wise friends (and I'm totally giggling because I can see Andy's face right now :). I say, if it brings you joy and fits in the bin, you both win! How's that for a little helpful poetry.

Fall is my favorite season, and I can't imagine September-November without a few fun decorations. But I am a total neat freak, so I see Andy's point. The nice thing about setting aside just one bin is that when you want to purchase a new item, Andy can have first dibbs on giving away one item from the bin (I try to use this theory with my wardrobe...sometimes). Happy autumn!

GGST22+ said...

Neat is nice, and bins are worth the price! A little "nod" to the change of seasons and holidays is not a bad thing! (I love your little Autumn/Halloween window corner!) I fully subscribe to the admonition...."brighten the corner where you are" followed by "make someone happy today." Sooooo...one is happy with the little decorations, the other is happy with the bins to store them until next time! Everybody wins!

Team Lane said...

To pile on more gems to this already valuable line of comments, might I add you be sure to clearly label the bin. Kind of a given, I know, but it might subconsciously make the minimalist feel organized and aware of your belongings if you have a sharp, clean looking label on that bin shoved full of cra-...I mean, ummm...treasures. You could even specifically list the items IN the bin to make it appear like those items are more valuable to keep. Anyways, there's my two cents. _Heath

Mom said...

Well I was hanging back to see what everybody else had to say so here's my 2 cents. I totally loved decorating for the holidays because it was a happy thing to do and also I loved the reaction from my kids when they say the "new wave" of seasons. Now that my kids are adults - I love putting up a few fun seasonal decorations just to see their cute little faces react to it. I have labeled bins that don't take up a lot of extra room and also I have given away many of my old decorations. So life goes on....and whatever makes us happy - there you have it.

GGST22+ said...

Wise words from "The Mom"... voice of experience.

megan said...

It's always nice to have the decorations that you get to toss when the season is over...the potted mums that are soooo pretty, and the real pumpkins that you can target practice once they start to rot. Those mini squashes make neat decorations too, sitting on some colorful fall leaves. AND, you don't have to store them when Christmas rolls around. There. My two cents duly recorded! :)

Unknown said...

on one hand, i'm with your husband: accumulation is also my worst nightmare, and i'm living it. i need andy back to remind me to throw away everything i own. moving in to my house last month was brutal--each box of junk felt like i was slapping myself in my own face with my ridiculousness.
on the other hand, not all seasonal decoration is tacky and unnecessary. some autumnal flair can be charming and make a home seem warmer as the weather gets colder. i say go for some tasteful additions, and watch andy see the compliments roll in from guests. can i be one of them?