Wednesday, July 14, 2010

10 things I love about teaching summer school


For the summer, I teach 3 and 4 year olds with severe disabilities during the month of July. This is a nice little change for me, as I teach special ed for 8,9,and 10 year olds during the year. This is my 3rd year teaching summer school, and there are a few perks to the gig that I really love. Here are 10 of them:

1. The mystery of the 10 very different, new little brains to try to figure out in 4 weeks.

2. The moment after the first week when I realize, "these kids are HILARIOUS".


3. Kids call me "Miss Megan" and not Mrs. Orr (for some reason, it makes me feel more fun).


4. I get to do fingerplays and sing really cheesy preschool songs (in which I usually make up half the words and my paras/assistants look at me like I'm nuts).


5. BUBBLES OUTSIDE. OH YA.


6. We have "outdoor recreation time and large gross motor time"- 2 separate times during the afternoon where I can work on my tan. Even some of my kids have a pretty good base tan, thanks to my precise outdoor time scheduling.


7. Free choice time when I play blocks, "cars", "zoo", or "house" on the floor with the kids and we crack each other up.


8. Putting kids on the bus at 1:00, home for my run by 1:20.

9. Listening to a kid throw a MONSTER tantrum on the floor for 25 minutes, spit on me, kick me, and knowing I never have to see him again in my life after these 4 weeks.

10. When that same kid asks if he can spend the night at my house because he doesn't want to go home. And I can happily say, "nope. But I will give you a ton of hugs and a big high five when I see you get off the bus tomorrow.". .....for four weeks, that is ;)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

FUNNY. Always love you insights into teaching.

GGST22+ said...

I hope you're saving all these bits of your teaching experiences..... great book material....informational, inspirational, and a great resource for the "uninitiated" in getting along with these different little brains! A good read for anyone!
Hugs.

Mom said...

Megan - you are the most special person. You love these little guys and give them purpose. We knew that about you from the minute you were born. Your sensitivity and tolerance for others is so evident in all you do. We are honored to be your parents!

Team Lane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Team Lane said...

Ummm...mom, I thought I was the most special person and that you knew it when I was born. I think you have some explaining to do.

I really really want to come to your class, Meg. I love how you've schedule your time to work on your tan at school; brilliant. And I'd love to see one of those finger plays. :)

Jen said...

Okay...died laughing when you said some of your students have a good base tan!! You are SO funny!!!

ps. We're officially living in Pullman. We really like it...just wish you guys were still here! :)