Thursday, February 3, 2011

Slow Mo

Today I had, what I like to call, a "slow motion" moment.

It's hard to explain, but I'm going to try really hard, because it's important enough that I need to record it somewhere so I never forget it.

Today was a normal Thursday in my classroom. The way I have our schedule arranged, everything is SUPER predictable, very routine. There are never surprise events, or random activities. Everything is super repititive. It's what's best for the kids. As a result, things can get pretty mundane. It's great for the kids who need that kind of structure, but can sometimes drive an adult a little coo coo for cocoa puffs.

But, at around 2:30 during snack and story time, I like to leave a little room in the schedule for me to talk casually with the kids, play with them, whatever. Most of them can handle this, but one of them CANNOT. This kid is very much in his own world. I've had him for 3 years, and I've never been invited in.

For 3 years, he's acted like I'm not even there. He has never looked at me. Never touched me. Never spoken or muttered anything to me. Cried for hours and won't give me the slightest clue what he needs. He never smiles at me. Today, something happened.

During my 'casual time' I walked over to him and sat next to him. I patted him on the back and said hi, and as usual, he completely ignored me.

Then, I put my fingers on his hand, and slowly walked my two fingers up his arm and tickled his neck. He twitched his head.....almost like a laugh. Then I did it again, but just a little faster this time, and I even said, "gitch you, gitch you!". And HE LOOKED AT ME. AND HE SMILED. It was the weirdest looking smile I have ever seen. Teeth everywhere. A totally lopsided smile. It was like time just completely stopped. Then he looked away again.

I tickled him, for the third time now, just to see if I could get another glance. But, no. Oh well. I had it. I was in his world for a only a few seconds, but it was definitely a slow motion moment--one I will never forget. And it was absolutely incredible.


And since I can't post a pic of him for confidentiality reasons, I would love to post another pic of a slow motion event:


This is just another one of those moments that seems frozen in time :)

6 comments:

The Smiths said...

So funny - had one of those with Caleb the other day. Joe had to get a crown on one of his back teeth, and he was excited to show it to the other kids. Kev and I were sitting on the couch and Caleb walked up to us and said, "Why does Joe have a silver tooth?" We froze - Caleb NEVER asks conversational questions. I tried not to freak out, answered his question. He smiled and walked away.

So weird how I forget how different he can be until I get excited about him doing something mundane. It's a special kind of joy.

em said...

Thanks for sharing your moment - I totally cried, hah! But what an amazing moment. I miss you and your stories :).

Mom said...

You are such an amazing teacher and especially an amazing person!

Mom said...

OH and by the way - that special kiss from your beautiful niece will happen again but each kiss will be a moment in time for you!

GGST22+ said...

You are truly "a chosen one" who is exactly where God wants you. Those special moments with your students will be few and far between, but such a reward when they do occur! And Amelia's sweet kisses will always be readily available to you....

One Runner's Heart said...

Wow, Meg. That is such a beautiful moment. Thanks so much for sharing.