Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I am so Special Ed

How does a kid know that he loves me when he doesn't know his name? He has so many barriers that keep him from understanding what is going on his life. He doesn't know how old he is, or where he lives. He doesn't know to take care of himself. He doesn't know why everyone is telling him to "line up" or "sit down" or "wash your hands". So how does he know me, and know that he loves me?

Today, in the middle of a science lesson (involving the usual "glue the bee on the flower" activity that most of my students have no clue what the meaning is) I walked around the classroom to see how my students were progressing on the activity.

One kid was eating the paper.


One kid was compulsively cutting the paper into small triangles.

One kid was rubbing glue on his cheeks.

One kid had thrown away the activity altogether.

And, one kid looked up at me with his horribly crooked teeth and said, "I love you Mrs. Orr" with his cute little Somolian accent.

I kneeled down and gave him such a tight hug. He patted my back while I hugged him. I taught him that.

His birthday is coming up and he will be 11. Just a hair over 3 feet tall. He doesn't know how to count, say his letter sounds, or draw shapes. But he knows he can love and can give a strong hug. And that makes me melt. Sometimes I wish I could be more like these kids.

6 comments:

Sara said...

Meg,

I love, love, love this post. And we love you too. ;)

Team Lane said...

You could write a book based on this post. You've learned so much about love from your kids, yet your kids have learned so much about love from you. What an amazing person you are, Meg. That little episode sounds like it makes your INCREDIBLY DIFFICULT job worth it. If only everyone could have a little "abdi" in their life. ;)

Jen said...

Meg, I so love this post! You're teaching your kiddos exactly what they need to know!
XOXO

Little Lesiw said...

How did I just see this post now?!?!?

And of course it made me cry. You truly are a special person (no pun intended) and your love for your students is inspiring. I love how no challenge seems to big for you, and your lack of 'fear' humbles me. I'm sure there are time where you're a bit 'afraid', but the difference between you and me is that you move forward where I would retreat.

Thanks for sharing your 'lessons'. They teach me tons!

Unknown said...

Love it!

GGST22+ said...

This should go to Reader's Digest for their Life in United States section! I have read this over several times since you first posted it..your talent for teaching/helping/loving these children is truly God given. One of the "chosen Few."