Wednesday, March 24, 2010

It's Hammer Time.

Yes. Time to Hammer down on something that's long overdue to be hammered. Tis the season of Lent.



So, the traditional purpose of the Season of Lent (for me, at least) is to rid my life of something that I practice daily-in excess-to serve as a memorial reminder of Jesus' life. One year I gave up sugar-not a good one. Another year I gave up "carbs". Last year I did chocolate. You get the picture. Lent was a weight loss goal for me-not exactly representing a time of annual commemoration of the the "Holy week". More of a "let's look smokin hot for spring break" preperation.



This year, I am taking this more seriously. I thought about the forty days that Jesus spent in the desert enduring temptation-yikes. I thought "Woah. Mine better be good". So, for Lent this season, I am ridding myself of judgement. In the process, I have learned that I am an extremely judgemental person. And, like Jesus said, I will be judged as I have judged. Very SCARY.



I judge really dumb things. I judge people I don't even know. I judge really good people. The worst part is, I don't always say it-sometimes I just think it.



Self-denial is a crazy good thing. Judgment is alive in my body and it needs to be cut out.



I feel more prepared than ever this year to honor the memory of Jesus during Holy Week of his Death and Resurrection.





2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great. Thanks for your honesty in the blogosphere.

Last year, I gave up put-downs for Lent. It was alarming how often I used put-downs in everyday conversation. I hope that those 40 days began a healthy cleansing of those de-humanizing behaviors I had unknowingly adorned.

Judgment. That is a tough one. I'm not sure I have the balls to try that one (yet). Someday, I hope to have the balls you have.
:)
You guys are great.

Sara said...

Amen to what Fred said. ;)

Actually, I love what you wrote and how you just made me think. This year, I did you "up one", and decided to just go straight for weight loss (and forget the whole Lent association). :0

Fortunately, my good intentions haven't turned into anything more than that (and considering that I only have 11 days or so to go), I would love to join you in the "no judgement" plan. There should be a place where we can compare notes. ;)

You're probably thinking, "Great. Someone to hang on to my coat strings." :) But then you'd be judging me, so I'm guessing I'm safe here. ;)

Thanks again for the great thoughts and gentle encouragement. We look forward to seeing you guys next week when we can enjoy a meal, and look at everyone around us with no judgement. ;)